BBO Discussion Forums: Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats...

#281 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-22, 11:16

So in the same thread one poster implied I don't know German, another implied I have only pseudo-mathematical knowledge. I have been accused of many things, but these are certainly a first for me.
I really don't get it - why post in a forum if after thousands of posts, you don't know the most facts about the identities of your fellow posters?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#282 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-22, 11:29

I do have what is in essence a statistics degree, but have a suspicion of Bayesian methods. While you can't make them prove anything you want, with (in)appropriate choice of priors you can prod them in a particular direction. This is a general point, I haven't read the detailed statistical stuff on this case.

#283 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-22, 12:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-July-22, 05:06, said:

Depends how much time is taken for explanations, no? Given you are a pair known for poor disclosure and that therefore the opps may ask for extra clarification on every detail it does not seem unlikely that this non-thinking period might last a while.

I am sorry but this is getting either a bit naive or a bit ridiculous.
Do I have to tell you that if you play long team matches in a world championship convention cards are mandatory and published well in advance.
Now a convention card can not cover all agreements a sophisticated partnership might have, so later bids may require explanations.
But conventional opening bid agreements have to be described exhaustively.
I am sure anyone, who plays a long team match against a pair in the world championship finals will prepare himself and inspect convention cards of his opponents well in advance.

Do not tell me that Eddie Wold did not know what the 2NT bid meant.
It is obvious that it is the preempt in conjunction with the colors and his hand, which created a serious problem for him and therefore the huddle.
That's why people devise such weapons.

Rainer Herrmann

#284 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-22, 12:17

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-22, 11:29, said:

I do have what is in essence a statistics degree, but have a suspicion of Bayesian methods. While you can't make them prove anything you want, with (in)appropriate choice of priors you can prod them in a particular direction. This is a general point, I haven't read the detailed statistical stuff on this case.

I agree that you can twist a Bayesian model to do most anything that you want through the choice of a prior.
However, you can do the same with frequentist methods and its a lot easier to hide what you're doing.

What you view as a weakness, I view as a strength.
If you're using Bayesian methods, justification for your choice of prior needs to be central to any discussion.

The Bayesian techniques do a much better job framing the subsequent conversation.
Alderaan delenda est

#285 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-July-22, 12:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-22, 11:29, said:

I [...] have a suspicion of Bayesian methods. While you can't make them prove anything you want, with (in)appropriate choice of priors you can prod them in a particular direction. This is a general point, I haven't read the detailed statistical stuff on this case.

Oh well you can always call it a likelihood ratio if you are concerned that the audience doesn't like Bayes.

Arend apparently found that Woolsey's data are 10000 times more likely under a hypothesis of cheating than under a hypothesis of non-cheating. This is what is (potentially) interesting.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#286 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-July-22, 13:35

View Postcherdano, on 2014-July-22, 11:16, said:

So in the same thread one poster implied I don't know German, another implied I have only pseudo-mathematical knowledge. I have been accused of many things, but these are certainly a first for me.
I really don't get it - why post in a forum if after thousands of posts, you don't know the most facts about the identities of your fellow posters?

Why is a beginner trying to explain this expert issue anyway?, if you want to practice your german find a school or something. Or better go watch baseball on the tv.

(note to that poster who impled the things, this is intended as a joke)

#287 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-22, 15:34

View Postcherdano, on 2014-July-22, 11:16, said:

Wer sind Sie? Und wie viel?

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#288 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-22, 18:54

View Postrhm, on 2014-July-21, 16:59, said:

[SNIP] Now, however, the translation of what Elinescu wrote about this incident: [SNIP] During the play East realized the trap he had fallen into and called the director and complained in a rude manner "South is strong" and North has given the verbal explanation "weak". North contradicted that he never said weak but "pass or correct", which was proven. The director let the score stand, but East raged on, that North lied and this led to a loud exchange between North and East, which continued after the end of the segment [SNIP]
IMO Elinescu must be mistaken that East continued to accuse North of lying, loudly, after the director ruled. Otherwise...
  • If East is an experienced player, who knows the rules and deliberately flouted them, then the director would impose a DP.
  • Anyway, official witnesses would have presented this video-evidence to afford the tribunal a balanced view.

#289 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-23, 01:43

View Postnige1, on 2014-July-22, 18:54, said:

IMO Elinescu must be mistaken that East continued to accuse North of lying, loudly, after the director ruled. Otherwise...
  • If East is an experienced player, who knows the rules and deliberately flouted them, then the director would impose a DP.
  • Anyway, official witnesses would have presented this video-evidence to afford the tribunal a balanced view.

As I understand this happened in the first segment, where to my knowledge there was no video taped yet. It was the last board of the set.
I can neither confirm nor disprove the account given by Elinescu.
However, to me the explanation that

1) East huddled noticeably to be detectable by South that East had a serious problem over the preempt
2) knowing Wladow/Elinescu style a little bit it is quite plausible that South decided to set up a trap white against red
3) that East assumed South to be limited by his "pass or correct" action and was not happy thereafter and upset

makes a lot of sense and looks to me quite logical and most important fits the Bridge events on this board.

And let it be said if this is what happened on this board, Eddie Wolds account at Bridgewinner about this board, which I cited in full and was headed Diagnosis: Foul Play
left something to be desired for to put it mildly.
It gave a lopsided account by leaving out the above points, most important that East (Eddie Wold) took a long time for his initial decision to pass.
If you accuse someone of cheating you should not be "economical" with the facts in your account because these facts do not support your accusation.
According to Eddie Wolds own words "The final hand of the set totally convinced me the doctors were cheating."
This board does not convince me any more.

Rainer Herrmann

#290 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-July-23, 04:07

View Postnige1, on 2014-July-22, 18:54, said:

Nigel you know directors rarely impose disciplinary penalties.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#291 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-July-23, 05:37

So first Rainer takes Wold's account of this board at face value, and the board as strong evidence that E-W are cheating, even though it was always plausible that the 3 bid was made as a gamble or based on table presence or whatever, or that Wold's account may have been incomplete. Now he does a complete turnaround and is suddenly convinced that Elinescu's account is 100% complete and accurate, and that Wold's account was very lopsided.

If you look at the facts with some distance, you should never have treated this board as strong evidence for cheating. It was and is some mild evidence, but it just does not compare to coughing-exactly-when-you-have-shortness-14-boards-in-a-row. Elinescu's account does not cast a doubt on the trial, since (to my knowledge) this board was never cited as compelling evidence in the two rulings. It does cast doubt on the judgement of whoever thought this board was strong evidence (such as rhm), and perhaps a little bit of doubt on the methodology of the German commission (which I never found as convincing as either the evidence used in the trial nor the study by Woolsey).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#292 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-23, 06:17

View Postcherdano, on 2014-July-23, 05:37, said:

So first Rainer takes Wold's account of this board at face value, and the board as strong evidence that E-W are cheating, even though it was always plausible that the 3 bid was made as a gamble or based on table presence or whatever, or that Wold's account may have been incomplete. Now he does a complete turnaround and is suddenly convinced that Elinescu's account is 100% complete and accurate, and that Wold's account was very lopsided.

If you look at the facts with some distance, you should never have treated this board as strong evidence for cheating. It was and is some mild evidence, but it just does not compare to coughing-exactly-when-you-have-shortness-14-boards-in-a-row. Elinescu's account does not cast a doubt on the trial, since (to my knowledge) this board was never cited as compelling evidence in the two rulings. It does cast doubt on the judgement of whoever thought this board was strong evidence (such as rhm), and perhaps a little bit of doubt on the methodology of the German commission (which I never found as convincing as either the evidence used in the trial nor the study by Woolsey).

Please tell me why I should not have taken Eddie Wold's account at face value?

Do you want to give support to Elinescu's claim, that this accusation is nothing but a conspiracy by american professionals, who can not bear losing a world championship to some amateurs?

I said : ...I remember impressed me as "Bridge evidence" at the time when it was brought forward by Eddie Wold on Bridgewinner

However Eddie Wold said "The final hand of the set totally convinced me the doctors were cheating."
I never said it is strong evidence for cheating.

Elinescu rebuttal was to the German commission, which cited boards from Bali, the commission found suspicious.
This was one of them.
To my knowledge Wladow / Elinescu have so far refused to publish anything with regard to the WBF trial.

The only thing I try is to keep an open mind.
And if someone is accused of cheating I want a fair process.
I am not claiming they are innocent.

Rainer Herrmann

#293 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-July-23, 08:48

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-July-22, 07:56, said:

If I would have to feed every mathematician who told me that his particular corner of math cannot be applied to real life, I would be bankrupt very soon.

That is why we have other scientists (physicists, chemists, engineers, ...). They can do what mathematicans can't. And, so far, it seems to work quite well.

You probably won't have to feed many statisticians who claim that their work can't be applied to real life. OTOH you might know some Bayesians who would say that frequentist statistics cannot be applied to real life, and vice versa :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#294 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-23, 08:56

View Postrhm, on 2014-July-23, 06:17, said:

Do you want to give support to Elinescu's claim, that this accusation is nothing but a conspiracy by american professionals, who can not bear losing a world championship to some amateurs?

Both Wold and Elinescu are principals in the dispute. As such, folks should be cogniscent that anything these folks is going to be filtered and interpreted through their own sets of biases. Hence, Cherdano's recommendation to focus attention on:

1. The original source material (the videos and WBF records)
2. Analyses like Woolsey's that were done in an open and collaborative manner
Alderaan delenda est

#295 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-23, 11:38

View PostCascade, on 2014-July-23, 04:07, said:

Nigel you know directors rarely impose disciplinary penalties.
This thread is about cheating. If you know the law and break it, deliberately, to gain advantage, that is cheating.

Allegedly, a top-level player continues to accuse his opponent of lying, in a loud voice, after the director rules. If the director judges that the player knows that such behaviour is against the rules and that it could gain advantage by disconcerting his opponent and spoiling his concentration, then the director should take drastic action.

I suspect that Elinescu's claim is mistaken. If not, you might expect it to form part of the E-W defence.

BTW, I took part in Kit Woolsey's meticulous investigation. Notwithstanding this and other strong evidence, I still feel that E-W deserve a fair hearing.

#296 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-23, 12:08

View Postnige1, on 2014-July-23, 11:38, said:

Notwithstanding this and other strong evidence, I still feel that E-W deserve a fair hearing.

I doubt that anyone would disagree with this statement.

With this said and done, there seems to be significant disagreement over what constitutes a fair hearing.
(Many folks, myself included, feel that E-W received a fair hearing)
Alderaan delenda est

#297 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-July-24, 05:14

View Postrhm, on 2014-July-23, 06:17, said:

For any simple director ruling it is quite common that the story told by one pair is not 100% complete, or that they remember little things differently than the other pair. Why should it be different in this situation? Wold had to play two sets against a team that included a pair he was convinced is cheating. I don't know Wold at all, but I know that I myself might get quite emotional in that situation, and I wouldn't recommend blindly trusting my eyewitness account.

#298 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-24, 07:09

"The final hand of the set totally convinced me that they were cheating." So before this board he was clearly not totally convinced. The last board proves nothing and in fact Wold is made to look foolish by players he possibly regarded as amateurs. So is it surprising he gets angry and plays the cheating card?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#299 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-24, 07:41

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-24, 07:09, said:

"The final hand of the set totally convinced me that they were cheating." So before this board he was clearly not totally convinced. The last board proves nothing and in fact Wold is made to look foolish by players he possibly regarded as amateurs. So is it surprising he gets angry and plays the cheating card?

Wold did not know that every board where they had shortness they coughed in the auction period and every board where they had no shortness they did not cough. You need careful video analysis for that and not his personal impression in the heat of the moment.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#300 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2014-July-24, 08:23

View Postrhm, on 2014-July-21, 16:59, said:

"After North artificial 2NT opening East thought for at least 1 minute before passing.
It was obvious that he was rankled to get into the bidding, which he finally - after long deliberation - refrained from doing vulnerable in the sandwich position.
South, who could not have escaped noticing the long huddle, opened a trap by a deceptive 3 bid.
North alerted and gave the written explanation : Pass or correct

Now East intervened with 3,which was doubled and went for 1100.
During the play East realized the trap he had fallen into and called the director and complained in a rude manner "South is strong" and North has given the verbal explanation "weak".
North contradicted that he never said weak but "pass or correct". which was proven.
The director let the score stand, but East raged on, that North lied and this let to a loud exchange between North and East, which continued after the end of the segment.
South trap was an in depth but riskless maneuver. To insinuate illegal information is malicious."

This one hand proves nothing in and of itself. One doctor evidently laid a clever trap for Eddie whose game is more analytical and less psychological than most. He says he was reading Eddie, not his partner. This is legal. Even if his partner did write "weak" at some point, so what if that was their understanding? What should matter, imo., is the weight of evidence from many hands and, possibly, some of these from other matches. Who knows? Maybe the doctors were behind and needed a board?

Tit for tat redress for any one match is unlikely. Getting rid of the real cheats over the long run is what matters.

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users