• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-December-30, 17:15

LHO opens 2multi; including weak2 in major, semiforcing in minor or 20-22 NT

partner overcalls 2;
4NT is RKCB 1403
5 shows AKQ

What now?

You know your partner as conservative bidder.
Are you content with 6?
Do you gamble 7? How big is the danger, that East holds Jxxx in spades?

Do you have a tool to find out the spade quality?
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-December-30, 17:46

Well I didn't bid 4N.

Partner's hand might be AKQxx, Kxx, J10xx, x at which point 7 is cold, 7/N live or die with the spades.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 19:01

gamble 7? I am more confident about that grand than my 1NT openings with 17.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 19:40

yes,best to rebid 5nt.its meanings are to ask specific king in some suit,or extra length in suit? If there is a extra length in ,partner will bid 7 in safe.

#5 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-30, 23:49

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-December-30, 17:46, said:

Well I didn't bid 4N.

Partner's hand might be AKQxx, Kxx, J10xx, x at which point 7 is cold, 7/N live or die with the spades.

Hmhh, interesting idea, but how do you find out how good partners diamond support is:

What now? Where do you go, if partner holds

Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-31, 05:50

View Postxx1943, on 2012-December-30, 23:49, said:

Hmhh, interesting idea, but how do you find out how good partners diamond support is:

What now? Where do you go, if partner holds

7 is where you want to be on this as well and partner doesn't need J. The 5 response to Blackwood gets you out of jail to a small extent, after 5 you don't know what to do opposite AKxxx, KJx, J10xx, x, 6/N are good, but 7 is better than either, 7/N are ZP.

It's a more complicated problem if you're playing pairs, but at teams I don't mind dropping 2 IMPs if all the grands make.

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-December-31, 12:54

I didn't bid 4NT because for me it's natural...

Anyway, at this point I'll bid 5NT. In theory it's a king ask, but partner is allowed to bid grand if he thinks it's making. If partner bid 7S I'll bid 7NT, otherwise I'll bid 7S.
7D might be better, but it's too late for that now and partner is very likely to hold 6 spades anyway (he's a bit short on high cards...)

#8 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 11:51

Partner bid 2S red vs white? Why would I even consider not bidding 7. Partner's allowed to have the J in his hand, he's also allowed to have 6 spades. It's a fair slam at absolute worst and cold at best.
As far as introducing diamonds, if partner has AKQxx and Jxx(x) then diamonds is safer. But partner could also have AKQJx and xxx and spades was safer. It's not like I really have a J ask available. Furthermore isn't it kind of importnant to RKC spades when we have the chance? I mean partner raises diamonds, now we have to work on finding the K and the Q of spades.
And as far as "partner might bid 7 on his own over 5nt." Really? With AKQxxx xx xx xxx for his RvW 2 level overcall, partner's going to know we have 13 tricks?
However spades vs no trump is a good question. If partner shows up with the K of hearts in the K ask (unlikely), then 7nt is surely better for all of the squeeze potential even when it isn't cold. Otherwise I'll live with 7.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-06, 12:22

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-January-06, 11:51, said:

Partner bid 2S red vs white? Why would I even consider not bidding 7. Partner's allowed to have the J in his hand, he's also allowed to have 6 spades. It's a fair slam at absolute worst and cold at best.
As far as introducing diamonds, if partner has AKQxx and Jxx(x) then diamonds is safer. But partner could also have AKQJx and xxx and spades was safer. It's not like I really have a J ask available.

If partner raises 3 to 4 he's not likely to have three low. Almost any hand with such poor diamonds would bid 3 or 3. I agree with your other objection to 3 though.

A furtehr problem with 3 is that after ... 3-3 or ...3-3NT it may be problematic to get spades agreed.

However spades vs no trump is a good question. If partner shows up with the K of hearts in the K ask (unlikely), then 7nt is surely better for all of the squeeze potential even when it isn't cold.

Not necessarily: opposite AKQxx Kx xx xxxx or AKQxx Kxx x xxxx 7 is better; opposite AKQxx Kx xxxx xx 7 is better.

If partner showed K, I'd try 7 with an understanding partner. That can't be a demand to play in diamonds, because I was obviously willing to play in 6 opposite a no-kings reply. Partner should work out that I'm worried about the solidity of the spade suit.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2013-January-06, 12:24

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 12:34

Since three different strains of grand slam have been mentioned, I'm surprised no one has asked about form of scoring. Did I miss something?

#11 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 14:21

Not necessarily: opposite AKQxx Kx xx xxxx or AKQxx Kxx x xxxx 7 is better;
I'm not so sure on the first. You need spades to split either way. If they don't then it doesn't matter. If they do you lose to one disribution. You'd need 4-2 diamonds to go with 3-2 spades and still need RHO to have 3 clubs to kill the squeeze in 7nt, so RHO must be 2623 exactly to need to be in spades. The chance of that is less than the chance that we're playing matchpoints :)

I'd choose to play no trump for those hands in which spades don't work but diamonds do and we find the tricks: though those would require some minor suit honors from partner.

Maybe I'd be better off asking for the Q of clubs than kings: opposite that card 7nt looks good.

7 as an offer sounds ok but how good will he think my diamonds are? Won't he pass with 3 small and no spade J?

Right Syde Clyde

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-06, 14:52

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-January-06, 11:51, said:

Furthermore isn't it kind of importnant to RKC spades when we have the chance? I mean partner raises diamonds, now we have to work on finding the K and the Q of spades.

It's fine if he has the Q, as I pointed out, provided you can ruff 2 clubs and pitch a spade on partner's K, you can make 7 without it. Even AKxxx, Kxxx, J10x, x 7 is better than 6.

#13 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 15:50

Yes I suppose so when partner shows up with the K of hearts, but when he doesn't (most likely): now what? You won't know what to do because the chance to learn of the spade Q is lost.

Right Syde Clyde

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-06, 16:30

View PostRSClyde, on 2013-January-06, 15:50, said:

Yes I suppose so when partner shows up with the K of hearts, but when he doesn't (most likely): now what? You won't know what to do because the chance to learn of the spade Q is lost.

If you play a decent scheme, you will find out which Ks he has.

eg (2)-2-3-4-4(KC)-4(1/4)-5(K/Q and all keycards)-5/(I have K/I have K but no K)-5N(anything else)-6(I have K+K)/I have AKQ)-7

#15 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 18:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-January-06, 16:30, said:

If you play a decent scheme, you will find out which Ks he has.

eg (2)-2-3-4-4(KC)-4(1/4)-5(K/Q and all keycards)-5/(I have K/I have K but no K)-5N(anything else)-6(I have K+K)/I have AKQ)-7

Ok I guess if you play all of that you'll get through, those bids are other things for me, but that's fine. That will work, provided of course that he doesn't just bid 3nt over 3D with his ridiculously nonslammish hand.

Right Syde Clyde

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users