BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#7281 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-04, 06:39

And back in the day, "First Lady" Hillary was showing George Soros around Haiti to see the good work that his millions were doing. The Clinton Foundation and the globalists had her speech ready then, too!
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#7282 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-04, 07:09

rmnka447, on 2017-September-03, 23:26, said:

The information that about Comey drafting a memo exonerating Clinton long before the investigation was complete came from Senators Chuck Grassley and Lindsay Graham.

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

Comey did in his testimony under oath claim he didn't decide that no prosecution was warranted until after the investigation was complete. This revelation is a possible contradiction of that testimony and needs to be investigated further. At the very least, it brings up the issue of whether Director Comey prejudged the investigation or was predisposed toward exoneration. That could lead to a "self fulfilling prophesy" situation where he might have acted in a manner in line with that predisposition in pursuing the investigation ensuring exoneration. So, at the very least, there needs to be an inquiry to assure something like that didn't occur.

Probably not a good decision.
If nothing else, the optics are bad.

At the same time, I think that a bunch of folks had accurately pre-judged this to be a witch hunt...
Alderaan delenda est

#7283 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-06, 13:11

Has anyone ever seen Sessions look so giddy?

https://twitter.com/...115001198870530

On average, DREAMers were 6 years old when their parents brought them to the US, and have been in the US for 20 years. Most of them haven't left the country (obviously, since they wouldn't be able to re-enter legally).

I'll happily wait for Ken to explain to me the world in which Jeff Sessions isn't racist, as I find the other version of the world easier to understand.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7284 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-06, 13:32

Things that make you go "hmmmm"
OK
bed

#7285 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-September-06, 14:24

jjbrr, on 2017-September-06, 13:32, said:

Not very surprising. Trump has flip-flopped on many issues. Since he became a candidate, he just espoused whatever policies his Republican base wanted to hear.

#7286 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-September-06, 18:27

cherdano, on 2017-September-06, 13:11, said:

On average, DREAMers were 6 years old when their parents brought them to the US, and have been in the US for 20 years. Most of them haven't left the country (obviously, since they wouldn't be able to re-enter legally).

I'll happily wait for Ken to explain to me the world in which Jeff Sessions isn't racist, as I find the other version of the world easier to understand.

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions-Himmler.

This is sad and sick.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7287 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-07, 12:57

Winstonm, on 2017-September-06, 18:27, said:

This is sad and sick.

Wow! This is a waste of our federal government resources and is a harbinger of things to come. . .

#7288 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 13:11

Winstonm, on 2017-September-06, 18:27, said:

This is sad and sick.

I guess Sessions' impeccable record as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama excludes his time battling against civil rights leaders and organizations for the franchise.

Coretta Scott King was spot-on about the dangers of putting this man in a federal position.

http://time.com/4663...enate-sessions/

If you really look, his behavior and use of the office of government for personal vendettas and political revenge hasn't changed one bit.

#7289 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 20:02

cherdano, on 2017-September-06, 13:11, said:

I don't see how pointing out that Sessions is a racist again, which is obvious, has anything to do with the futility of confusing people whose votes Dems were trying to win in 2016 with people whose votes they weren't going to win anyway by lumping them all into a one-size-fits-all category which accomplished what exactly?

Hopefully the Dems have learned from this.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7290 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-07, 20:06

This from The Atlantic, is a good but really sobering and frightful yet insightful read.

His political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built. But long before birtherism, Trump had made his worldview clear. He fought to keep blacks out of his buildings, according to the U.S. government; called for the death penalty for the eventually exonerated Central Park Five; and railed against “lazy” black employees. “Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” Trump was once quoted as saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7291 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 21:00

Winstonm, on 2017-September-07, 20:06, said:

This from The Atlantic, is a good but really sobering and frightful yet insightful read.

This all sounds like we have the opportunity to evaluate Trump before electing him. That ship has sailed.

#7292 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-08, 07:07

Winstonm, on 2017-September-07, 20:06, said:

The Coates article is not about Trump, it is about white people. About you, I assume you are white, and me. I fully expect that he would agree with this description if his focus. . He sees Trump as "a president who, more than any other, has made the awful inheritance explicit.". Trump is president, so it is natural enough for Coates to say a lot about Trump. He alludes to other presidents, "held court in Paris; presided at Princeton; advanced into the Wilderness and then into the White House. ". He is surely not just speaking of Trump and he is surely not just speaking of presidents.

The article is long. I have read some of it but I will read some more. I see it as a very, very pessimistic view of where we are. Coates reminds me a bit of my Presbyterian minister who explained to me, when I was 14, that I had to get my parents to come to church more often so that they would not burn in hell. My reaction was, among other things, that I didn't think that I could do anything about that.
Ken

#7293 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-08, 08:10

kenberg, on 2017-September-08, 07:07, said:

The Coates article is not about Trump, it is about white people. About you, I assume you are white, and me. I fully expect that he would agree with this description if his focus. . He sees Trump as "a president who, more than any other, has made the awful inheritance explicit.". Trump is president, so it is natural enough for Coates to say a lot about Trump. He alludes to other presidents, "held court in Paris; presided at Princeton; advanced into the Wilderness and then into the White House. ". He is surely not just speaking of Trump and he is surely not just speaking of presidents.

The article is long. I have read some of it but I will read some more. I see it as a very, very pessimistic view of where we are. Coates reminds me a bit of my Presbyterian minister who explained to me, when I was 14, that I had to get my parents to come to church more often so that they would not burn in hell. My reaction was, among other things, that I didn't think that I could do anything about that.

I think Coates sees Trump as a symptom of a casual white elitism.

#7294 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-08, 08:43

kenberg, on 2017-September-08, 07:07, said:

The Coates article is not about Trump, it is about white people. About you, I assume you are white, and me. I fully expect that he would agree with this description if his focus.

FWIW Ken, I think that your technically corect. TNC is talking about white people.

However, having had the chance to meet and talk with Ta-Nehisi a few years back when he was teaching at MIT I can assure you that he is not talking about all white people.
Alderaan delenda est

#7295 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-September-08, 12:38

hrothgar, on 2017-September-08, 08:43, said:

FWIW Ken, I think that your technically corect. TNC is talking about white people.

However, having had the chance to meet and talk with Ta-Nehisi a few years back when he was teaching at MIT I can assure you that he is not talking about all white people.

"some of them, I suppose, are nice people" comes to mind. I can find some of what he says interesting, and some of what he says I can agree with, but when he talks about what some white maid said to some Brit in 1807 I start wondering just what he would like me to do about that. He appears to have made it his life's work to explain why white people are bad, how white people are responsible of all the ills of the world, and he has been very successful at it. His knowledge is extensive and his commitment is strong. But the end result really does remind me of my Presbyterian minister. I am sure this envoy of God also did not think that everyone other than himself was going to hell, just most of us. And he knew who. Whichever circle of hell he, either Coates or the minister, has me assigned to, I am not planning on accepting his assignment.
Ken

#7296 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-08, 13:53

kenberg, on 2017-September-08, 12:38, said:

"some of them, I suppose, are nice people" comes to mind. I can find some of what he says interesting, and some of what he says I can agree with, but when he talks about what some white maid said to some Brit in 1807 I start wondering just what he would like me to do about that. He appears to have made it his life's work to explain why white people are bad, how white people are responsible of all the ills of the world, and he has been very successful at it. His knowledge is extensive and his commitment is strong. But the end result really does remind me of my Presbyterian minister. I am sure this envoy of God also did not think that everyone other than himself was going to hell, just most of us. And he knew who. Whichever circle of hell he, either Coates or the minister, has me assigned to, I am not planning on accepting his assignment.

Hey, Ken. I sense a defensiveness in your responses to this article and I can't understand why. No one I know on these boards would consider you anything but reasonable. I certainly don't feel as if I posted this article link as an attack on all white people - and my reading of the article is such that I assume the author astute enough to know that there are many exceptions to his overall position - but I posted it as a guide to helping us understand how we got here, with Donald Trump president and his (mostly white) Republican followers steadfastly refusing to give him up, regardless of his actions.

This is deeper than simple politics, IMO. To find root causes requires some deep archaeological digs.

P.S.: I think it is necessary to address the reality of U.S. history in all its ugliness. After all, according to the article not that long ago we had major political figures puclicly expressing white supremacist ideas....

It was this juxtaposition that allowed Theodore Bilbo to campaign for the Senate in the 1930s as someone who would “raise the same kind of hell as President Roosevelt” and later endorse lynching black people to keep them from voting.

#7297 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-08, 13:53

kenberg, on 2017-September-08, 12:38, said:

Actually Ken, he made escaping the slums of Baltimore his life mission.

Please consider the following:

You are critiquing TNC for painting with an overly broad brush. You believe that many of the critiques that he raises about white people don't apply to you.

At the same time, you have reached this conclusion having done only the most cursory study of TNC or his works.
You have skimmed a single article, maybe you read a bit more a while back, and have already made up your mind about the man.

In all seriousness, I have come to expect much much better from you.
Alderaan delenda est

#7298 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-September-08, 14:25

hrothgar, on 2017-September-08, 13:53, said:

Actually Ken, he made escaping the slums of Baltimore his life mission.

Please consider the following:

You are critiquing TNC for painting with an overly broad brush. You believe that many of the critiques that he raises about white people don't apply to you.

At the same time, you have reached this conclusion having done only the most cursory study of TNC or his works.
You have skimmed a single article, maybe you read a bit more a while back, and have already made up your mind about the man.

In all seriousness, I have come to expect much much better from you.

It's true, I have not studied hos work in detail. But Cherdano suggested a couple of articles for me to look at, I heard him interviewed on NPR, and now there is this one. I think I get the general drift of his thinking. Presumably you are not currently in touch with him or I would ask you to ask him if I have him wrong. I am not so sure he would say so.

Both you and Winston mention that I am taking this personally. Not really. What I said in my first response is that I found his views to be very very pessimistic.This is far more my focus. I don't know him, he doesn't know me, I doubt that he cares any more about what I thin of him than I care what he thinks about me. But, unlike me, you or Winston, he has a large foillowing (whoever reads this on BBF, it surely would not be described as a large following even if they agreed with me which they probably do not). His views, published in the Atlantic, definitely matter. Rave relations are a mess. We can probably all agree on that..His presentation is such that if I took it as accurate, I would conclude the situation is hopeless. What would satisfy him? Nothing I think would. Or at least nothing that is remotely likely to happen. Really, this pessimism, this hopelessness, is much more what is getting to me than any perceived slight.

I realize he came from the slums. Escaping is impressive. I once asked my father for details of his childhood. He responded "My childhood was hell" and refused to discuss it further. I know only a very little. He has my great respect in this and other matters. Comparing horror stories, even if we knew the details, gets us nowhere. My life? Easy.

My views could change. It happens.
Ken

#7299 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-September-08, 14:28

Winstonm, on 2017-September-08, 13:53, said:

Hey, Ken. I sense a defensiveness in your responses to this article and I can't understand why. No one I know on these boards would consider you anything but reasonable. I certainly don't feel as if I posted this article link as an attack on all white people - and my reading of the article is such that I assume the author astute enough to know that there are many exceptions to his overall position - but I posted it as a guide to helping us understand how we got here, with Donald Trump president and his (mostly white) Republican followers steadfastly refusing to give him up, regardless of his actions.

This is deeper than simple politics, IMO. To find root causes requires some deep archaeological digs.

P.S.: I think it is necessary to address the reality of U.S. history in all its ugliness. After all, according to the article not that long ago we had major political figures puclicly expressing white supremacist ideas....

Defensive? I thought it was more on the offense. Anyway, see my response to Richard which really includes you.
Ken

#7300 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-08, 16:19

kenberg, on 2017-September-08, 14:28, said:

Defensive? I thought it was more on the offense. Anyway, see my response to Richard which really includes you.

How I understand his POV is that he is writing about the Titanic, its history and its movements, fully aware that there are a few scatterings of lifeboats surrounding the ocean liner but they can have no affect whatsoever on the outcome of the bigger ship.

I see it as a call to not build the ship in the first place. Problem to solve: how does one un-build a ship while it is at sail?

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

403 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 403 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google